When is inpatient care needed?
Signs indicating inpatient care is needed for eating disorders:
- The person has been in outpatient care and has not been showing improvement.
- A medical condition is present due to the disorder.
- The person is self harming.
- The person cannot control restricting or purging behaviors without strong supervision.
- There are trauma issues which would be too difficult to uncover and deal with in outpatient.
- There is a secondary diagnosis present that would benefit from intensive focused treatment.
Misty Rees, BS, CEDS
Certified Eating Disorder Specialist
We understand that making a decision to enter an inpatient treatment program is a difficult one that carries with it great impact on many areas of a person’s life or that of their family. It can also create fear. It is important to remember that a person’s future and ability to function in their lives is worth the sacrifice to go through treatment if it is needed.
At the top of this page, you will find some key points to consider in discerning whether inpatient is needed. In order to more accurately determine what level of care is needed, it is important to get a comprehensive eating disorder assessment done with us or other experienced professionals.
These disorders can be quite complex and have serious, long-term health complications that accompany them. About 70% of those dealing with eating disorders can do well in outpatient counseling. That leaves about 30% who will need inpatient care. ~Misty